Third Party Press

German S84/98 & Similar Frog Rivet Repair 101

pwcosol

Fellow collectors, I am sure many of you are frustrated with German frogs from which one or more rivet retention washers (and/or the rivets as well) have gone missing. The culprit is typically a weak or inadequate rivet head crimp, which eventually allows the retention washer to pop off. For those of you whom are up to the challenge, here is the work-around I use when the need arises...

#1. What you will need:
Since the original components are metric, here in the USA you are going to end up using SAE (inch) material. Nearly all specifications I mention are in 100ths of an inch (taken with a micrometer). Aluminum alloy rivets and washers are available. Washers can be formed from a snip of raw sheet stock if unavailable. Some frogs used steel, brass or even copper rivets & washers. Although the process is the same to replace a rivet & washer, brass & copper components might have to be made or modified from screws, rods, tacks, etc. What follows is a optimal set of tools to perform the work, but often a few simple ones may suffice:

a. Dremel or other rotary tool with chucks, etc. The Dremel shaft & screw which supports the cut-off wheel, etc. is too small to hold the washer and will cause it to spin off center. The one I have pictured has a thicker shaft & screw, which only has a small bit of play in it. This allows the washer to be secured solidly to about 98%+ on-center. It will make turning down the washer a much easier and accurate task.
b. Medium & smaller brass hammer.
c. Set of pin punches,
d. Needle-nose pliers. These are good to hold the rivet if you need to file down the shaft a bit and add the bevel.
e. Medium sized, fine file or selection of files.
f. Small, solid piece of steel plate or very hard wood. You will use this surface to peen the rivet on. Thickness should be .250 inch minimum.
g. Rivet set or specific steel peening tools (use of a rivet "hand-squeeze" tool with flat & concave sets, is another option). Note the rivet-setter tool lying right of center (photo #4). On the face of it are two depressions. The larger, concave one is used to peen down the end of the rivet. The smaller one matches the diameter of the rivet shaft and slides down over it to either compress the leather or washer and leather.
h. Ice pic.
i. An appropriate rivet and accompanying washer (to be trimmed/sized based on requirements).
j. Leather treatment like Ballistol.
k. Patience.

Below are pictured the various tools. The second photo is of the frog and material to be worked (I used the large washer as smaller was steel). Original rivet is in the last photo, sitting on peening tool I used.

CONTINUE ONTO THE NEXT POST FOR PART 2 OF THE PROCEDURE...

Attachments

• BFRR1.JPG
    BFRR1.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 20
  • BFRR2.JPG
    BFRR2.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 22
  • BFRR3.JPG
    BFRR3.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 20
  • BFRR4.JPG
    BFRR4.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 20
  • BFRR5.JPG
    BFRR5.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
German S84/98 & Similar Frog Rivet Repair 101 (part 2)

Continuing from the first thread with remaining commentary and photos:

#2 Preparation:
Once you have all your tools laid out, the amount of work depends on how close to spec your chosen rivet & washer set are, to your needs.

A. The rivet:
a. First remove the rivet missing it's washer, by using a pin punch. Best to align the domed rivet head over a slightly larger hole in your steel plate, wood block, etc. This supports the frog body while you drive out the old rivet from the front. I do not recommend attempting to utilize the old rivet. More often than not, will be too short and/or bent from factory peening for reuse.

b. With file put a slight bevel on the flat end of the new rivet and test fit after putting a few drops of Ballistol into the hole. If too tight to start, insert the ice pic into one end of the hole, wiggle it a bit. Do the same from the other side, then test fit again (2nd photo). Repeat until you can get the pin to seat in the hole from the rear of the frog. Now turn frog upside-down, with edge of frog aligned with side of steel plate. Take care to align the pin angle (not frog body) perpendicular to the plate. With smaller brass hammer, gently tap the pin home until it hits the work surface. Should pin hang up, try wiggling it with your fingers or the needle-nose pliers, and work it home. Remove frog from the plate and tap the pin completely home from the backside (1st photo). You should see about 1/16+ inch of the rivet sticking out of the hole (3rd photo).

B. The washer: If thickness is not a problem, and hole in the material matches the shaft of rivet, then all you need do is turn down the diameter to approximate that of the original washers. If you are using a manufactured washer that is close to the desired specs, then just turn it down the rest of the way. Should you be using alloy sheet stock, drill your hole, cut out a piece of material, and snip the four corners off. Try to round this by hand with a file until round enough to chuck up on the rotary tool. Then you can get it close to perfect by holding it in the rotary tool cut-off disc fixture and running it up & down the file as it lays flat on your work bench. Be careful not to turn it down too much, and check diameter often with the caliper.

3. Completion:
Now that both rivet & washer have been filed and/or turned down to approximate the original components, time to mate them together:

a. Insert rivet through the frog body and lay it on the hardened work surface, face-up.
b. Slide the washer over the end of the rivet. You may have to push the washer down a bit with the peening tool, a hollow piece of steel tubing, etc. If you see the desired amount of shaft sticking up above the face of the washer, it's rivet peening time!
c. Place the center of the concave hollow in the peening tool directly over the rivet shaft (see face of tool in post #1, photo 4). Align the tool as close to being directly over, and in line with, the rivet shaft as you can.
d. With moderate use of force holding the larger brass hammer, give the tool a couple whacks, remove, and look at the rivet. It should appear to be a bit mushroomed and uniformly flat on the top. If the rivet top looks wedge-like, you are not aligned with the shaft of the rivet. You can add a bit of bias to the opposite side, when you strike another hit or two, which should even-out the mushrooming face of the rivet. Once you see the rivet and washer are securely fastened together, stop (photo #4). Too many strikes or a heavy-handed one can bend the rivet (or possibly even cause a small tear in the edge of the frog). Less is more. If the rivet head sticks up too much beyond the washer, you can always take it down a bit with a small file and finish with another small tap or two (photos #4,5 & 6). A perfect peen every time! Take a good look at the photos, and hopefully most of your questions will be answered...

4. Dimensions:
Your rivet may be a bit longer or shorter, depending on thickness of the leather layers, age, etc. The measurements given are nominal, and are based on both rivets & washers you should be able to find in any good hardware store. I got plenty of alloy rivets and steel washers, so if you find alloy washers, have you covered.

OEM alloy washer = .265+ in. OD
Repl. alloy washer = .500 in. OD (before turning)

OEM alloy washer thickness = .100 in.+ (this can vary)
Repl. alloy washer thickness = .120 in.- (no need to thin this out).

OEM rivet head = .045 in. OD
Repl. rivet head = .055 in. OD (before turning)

OEM rivet head thickness = .040 in.
Repl. rivet head thickness = .060+ in. (before turning)

OEM rivet shaft = .400 in. long
Repl. rivet shaft = .420 in. long (reduce length only if too much sticks up with washer in place).

Attachments

• BFRR6.JPG
    BFRR6.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 15
  • BFRR8.JPG
    BFRR8.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 17
  • BFRR9.JPG
    BFRR9.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 16
  • BFRR10.JPG
    BFRR10.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 17
  • BFRR11.JPG
    BFRR11.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 17
  • BFRR12.JPG
    BFRR12.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thank you for posting this repair.

Hope you find it useful. If you search on a site like Ebay for "rivet setter tool", you will see a multitude of types which will work. There are also those which can be used to peen male & female button snaps together. Recently I was able to repair a missing snap on a WW2 USGI .45 auto shoulder holster (a commonly found problem with these...particularly the belt loop snap).

This is great stuff PW and pic stickied for ref. This is personally helpful. Thank you!

This is great stuff PW and pic stickied for ref. This is personally helpful. Thank you!

Thanks HB. My inspiration was a beautiful 1934 dated frog I got from a friend. The leather is exceptionally nice. Only problem was both upper rivets were missing their washers. I had to make replacements on a lathe by first drilling the right size hole into a brass rod, cutting two very thin discs from the face and turning those down a bit. However, it came out well. Frog is first one in photo array from this feature I posted back in 12/16:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?24835-Standard-German-S84-98-T3-Frogs&highlight=German+frogs

Military Rifle Journal
Back